It’s over two days before Noynoy Aquino, a.k.a. Noynoy! Noynoy! Noynoy! gives his State of the Nation Address 2011, this Monday, July 25, 2011. I’m going to make a prediction right here: it will suck, being a showcase of stupidity.
I am aware that my literary reputation is weighing on the balance by making such a brash prediction, but I think I’ll risk it. For the past 13 months as president, NNN and his Cabinet, political allies and opponents have said the usual dumb shit that only politicians have the audacity to spew, and which the majority believe anyway. So the odds favor me.
Here’s some of the dumb shit to expect:
- Continued crusade against his predecessor Gloria Arroyo
- Continued bragging of ‘conditional’ doleouts meant to show how generous he is
- Continued bragging about the nominally high financial markets, of which no human endeavor other than inflation of the money supply is responsible.
- Boasting of standing up for the rights of the Filipino in the Spratly dispute, without indicating how things can be resolved.
- Little regard for decreasing the deficit other than vague references to plugging tax ‘leakages.’
- Evading the lack of progress with regards to reducing red tape for business. He might also divert away from such a failure by talking about an antitrust law nearing approval at committee level, or how awesome the cronyistic ‘Public Private Partnerships’ are going to bring prosperity.
- Ambiguity on his stand on the RH Bill, apart from talking about the bill’s status in a way that reflects that passage or non-passage of the bill would be credited/not blamed on him.
- He will remain bald.
And it’s the last prediction of which I’m most doubtful.
On Monday evening (Manila time), I’ll report back to you on how my predictions will have done. So tune in then!